What Is I-20 Form And When Do You Need It

There’s no better feeling than being accepted into your program of preference to study in the United States of America. You are one step closer to attaining your dreams! While it may sense like you’ve gotten over the most difficult part of the procedure, there’re still some roadblocks to come over. Now that you have been accepted, it is time sort out your visa & immigration paperwork to lawfully study in the USA. Till now, you have possibly heard that you require an I-20 form, but how do you get one?

The I-20 Form is a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. As soon as you’ve been accepted into a SEVP certified school, and paid your I-901 SEVIS fee, an authorized delegate from your school will offer you the right I-20 Form based on if the school you attend is in F-1 or M-1 status. Every school that accepts you will provide you an I-20 form once you have paid the fee.

When do you require the I-20 form?

  • While paying your I-901 SEVIS fee
  • During visa application interview
  • When entering the US for the first ever time
  • If you travel overseas (you require it to re-enter the United States)
  • While applying for a driver’s license in the United States
  • During the hiring procedure for a job

When do I require a new I-20 form?

There’re 2 circumstances when you’ll have to acquire a new I-20 form:

1 – When SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) makes changes to the I-20 form.

2 – When your student status changes

For instance, SEVIS may call for new info. If this takes place, then your school will issue a new I-20 Form.

Or, you might make a decision to change schools, switch to a part-time from full-time student, or take a leave of absence from school. All of these are measured as a change of your status & you will need to update your I-20. You can acquire a new I-20 from the school.

If you have any questions regarding I 20 application for international students feel free to get in touch with Concord Rusam.